Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Nuts and Screws of the Premium Ale

I still haven't purchased a multi-tool. I seem to never have enough information to purchase the right thing. The couple I tried wasn't up to par in several ways. Most recently, I tried the Topeak Mini 9 which as of this date is discontinued. The problem with it is the tool came with eight bits. Turns out the 6mm hex tool came with an 8mm hex attachment bit, making it nine tools. According to some reviewers of the product, they ended up losing the 8mm bit. Topeak's web site even sells replacement bits for it. I interpret the sales of 8mm bits as Topeak's admittal of frequent loss of the bit.

Last year, I tried Crank Brother's m19, which was the "best" multi-tool that Sports Basement had to offer according to its employees. Since I already had a portable chain tool and spoke wrenches, 7 of the tools were useless for me. Torx T25 was also another tool I had no use for, since I believe it's used most commonly on disc brake systems.


The above led me to an idea on how I should choose a multi-tool. Let's eliminate all the tools I don't need and see what's left over. Rather, figure out exactly what tools I need. That'll give me a base to start at.

I'm going to analyze my SE Premium Ale.

Brake Lever (Hex 2mm)
Brake Lever to Handle Bar (Hex 4mm)
Handle Bar to Stem (Hex 5mm)
Stem to Fork (Hex 6mm)
Brake Caliper to Frame (Hex 5mm)
Brake Cable to Brake Caliper (Hex 5mm)
Brake Pad Adjustor (Hex 4mm)
Brake Caliper Adjustor (Hex 2mm)
Brake Quick Release Screw (Hex 3mm)
Brake Caliper Connector (Hex 3mm)
Brake Caliper Connector Spring Adjustor (Hex 3mm)
Saddle to Seat Post (Hex 5mm)
Seat Post to Frame (Hex 5mm)
Chainring to Crank (Hex 5mm)
Crank to Bottom Bracket (Hex 8mm)
Chain Tensioner (Hex 2mm)

For the Hex Tool, I'll need 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8mm sizes.

Pedal to Crank (Pedal Wrench 15mm)
Wheels to Frame (Wrench 17mm)

Maybe combine the two by using an adjustable wrench that's thin enough to tighten the pedals.

What else do I need to be able to ride home in case of an emergency? Do I want to carry a lock ring wrench?

No comments:

Post a Comment