Friday, July 27, 2012

Cycling Wear

There have been so many times I wish I didn't have a Chrome messenger bag with me when I'm riding alone in Mt. Tamalpais State Park or even during Butter Lap. If the weather is nice such that I sweat like a pig, I really dislike having the messenger bag. What I need to do is purchase equipment such that everything is on the bike and not on me. The easiest solution would be a rear rack with panniers. But that won't look right on my racing bike. So what do others do? Majority simply have a saddle bag with most of their necessities and bottle cages with bottles, obviously. To me, it just doesn't seem like enough storage space. I need to be able to carry more. But how much more?

Adventure Cycling Association has a page on what to pack for long touring rides. This list is great if I were packing for an overnighter or longer touring. But my rides have less duration and are concentrated in the area north of the Golden Gate Bridge. One challenge I'll have to overcome is the change of weather between Sausalito and San Francisco. The weather changes drastically and the cold winds at the Bridge is often times unbearable. This leads me to the clothing aspect of cycling gear.

I believe my idea is similar to Erik's idea (Erik at Sports Basement, Presidio). He believes in taking the modular approach for clothing. I do, too. But I don't agree with his approach to the layers covering the torso. My idea is the following. Three layers should cover me -- base layer (optional), jersey layer and cover layer (optional). Base layer is an idea I've heard of but didn't make much sense to me until Erik covered it in his cycling gear lectures. Base layers help when wearing bib shorts by reducing the rubbing of the bib's strap on your nipples. I'm uncertain how comfortable a base layer will be in the hot weather of Marin. Hence, I mention it as option. The jersey layer is an obvious one. It's simply a jersey for cycling. Most cyclists knows the advantages in wearing them. The cover layer is the layer I'm still having troubles deciding on, perhaps, because I'll need more than one article of clothing worn interchangeably.

The cover layer should be worn when it's raining or windy. If it's raining, I'll need a weather/water proof rain jacket. I'll more than likely not ride on rainy days due to being a sissy. If it's windy, a vest will suffice. So what would my cycling clothing look like?

  • Base Layer (opt)

  • Jersey

  • Arm Warmers (opt)

  • Vest (opt)

  • Rain Jacket/Jersey (opt)

  • Bib Shorts

  • Leg/Knee Warmers (opt)

No comments:

Post a Comment