Friday, July 20, 2012

Work Stands

So there appears to be several different types of bicycle work stands available on the market. Each has its own list of advantages and disadvantages. I'm trying to figure out which of them works for me. I'm simply going to use examples from Park Tool, since they seem to be dominating the market. Going to Park Tool's web site's repair stand page, they've divided repair stands into three categories: Shop Repair, Portable Repair, and Bench/Wall Mount Stands.

Shop repair stand refer to the ones bicycle shops use in their repair shop. They're probably going to be bolted to the floor and support two bikes side-by-side. These are certainly not what I'm looking for. They don't fold away, usually.



Bench/wall mounted stands can be used by both pros and amateurs that don't have much space. It doesn't take much space due to lack of the legs (tripod or otherwise) and obviously are highly unportable.



Portable repair stands refer to those that can be folded away and take up less space. It's not a permanent structure like the above two categories. You set portable repair stands up when you need them.



It's difficult to judge which fits me the most when I'm not certain what my requirements are for the repair stand. I'd like to be able to elevate the bicycle such that I will never be in a difficult, back-breaking position. But at the same time, how often will I be in such a difficult position when I'm such a newbie?

Update: 07/29/2012

I'm trying to distinguish the difference between the euro style race stands and portable repair stands. I have a suspicion that one is simply "more portable" (lighter) than the other. Let me find weights for both styles.

  • PCS-9: 23.5 lbs

  • PCS-10: 25.0 lbs

  • PRS-20: 20.5 lbs

  • PRS-21: 13.5 lbs


Looking at the weights of the two styles of repair stands, it seems the race stands have more portability for perhaps professionals at races. If this is the case, then I'm better off with the more traditional portable repair stand.

So which products should I consider? Perhaps the Park Tool's PCs-10, Topeak, and Feedback Sports?

On further reading online, they're both very different beasts and each have their own pros and cons.

Traditional Repair Stand (YouTube:PCS-9/PCS-10/Pro Elite)

  • Pros

    • Still working on it



  • Cons

    • Odd shaped seat tube/post may not hold

    • Undue stress on part being clamped




Bottom Bracket Repair Stand (YouTube:PRS-20/PRS-21)

  • Pros

    • Lighter (for portability)

    • Compact (for storage)

    • Stability (tripod)



  • Cons

    • Difficult working on both ends of the bike



No comments:

Post a Comment